So it seems appropriate that my "first step" on this road will be to take some inventory.
The good news is, I am not starting from "real" scratch. I do get to enter this new phase with some of the benefits of my past "training" -- even if it was inconsistent. I get to start from "scratch-plus," if you will.
- I can run comfortably for over an hour.
- I can swim comfortably for over 90 minutes.
- I own a bicycle, an indoor trainer, and a GREAT DVD collection.
- I've got my Dad's slow-twitch muscles.
- I've got my Mom's fast-twitch muscles.
- For the next 10 weeks, I can train in New Mexico at 3,800 feet.
- On the bike, I am completely worthless on hills and in wind.
- I haven't used my mother's fast-twitch muscles since I was 14; I think she swapped 'em out for her thyroid while I was napping.
- It is COLD and SNOWY in Iowa in the winter.
- It will be winter in Iowa when I reach the heart of my IM training for Arizona.
- I grew up in California and have been in NEW MEXICO for the past 7 years.
Did I mention that I like to do things comfortably?