Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wind Blows but Doesn't Suck


Okay, we all know how much I hate biking in wind. Today I took off for my 12-mile loop, wind was blowing about 17-18 mph which I was determined to endure just to prove a point.

I was mentally prepared to slog it out through the cross- and headwinds, which I did for about 7 miles. And then it turned into a tailwind (though I didn't know it at the time, but I knew something was up when I was approaching town again after only 40 minutes). I managed a 12 mph pace in the headwind and bumped it up to 15.1 when all was said and done.

Here's the thing: I'm pretty sure that in real life I can only ride about 12.5 mph right now. Don't get me wrong, I still pushed those last 5 miles...but it's all just a little bittersweet knowing that I had "help."

Maybe it was a little reward for getting out there anyway.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

*shrug*

No comments: