Sunday, October 7, 2007

I Am My Own Nemesis

So I got up, had breakfast, got all dolled up in my running outfit and gathered my things: sunglasses, visor, race number, safety pins, gels. With my hands full, I told the dogs to be good little babies and then closed the door behind me.

Notice anything missing from that list?

KEYS! Sonuva!

That's right. I locked myself out and by the time the locksmith worked his magic, I missed the race by 10 minutes. What an idiot I am.

I managed to pull a hip flexor last week and NOT stay off of it (beautiful weather + lure of ultimate = painful ultimate). SOOO, it is probably a good thing for me to have missed this race to give myself a little more time to heal. (I've got a bag of ice tucked into my shorts right now.)

Missing this race means I must do the Des Moines half-mary in a couple weeks -- and I should learn the lesson of staying away from sprinting sports for a little while.

Double-dog dang. :(

8 comments:

Duane said...

Bummer!

Unknown said...

There's always an up side -- rest up and ready yourself for Des Moines.

Brent Buckner said...

Well, the rest is good...

And yeah, wouldn't have been good to go do the race and risk a long wait for a locksmith... not with pooches inside!

Oh, for a trustworthy neighbour with whom to exchange keys.

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Argh! That's like a nightmare I would have!

I will probably be spectating DSM... Hope it cools off before then!

Tea said...

That's too bad. I locked myself out the other day...during a training run, and I was so irritated.

Oh well, focus on the next race.

mbw said...

I'm sorry you missed the race, but I gotta be honest; this story gave me great chuckle! It just sounds so much like something I would do. It feels good to know that I'm not alone. ;-)

Benson said...

Bummer you missed the race but rest is good for the hip flexor. Maybe a 'hide-a-key' somewhere outside is worth considering.
Ice in my shorts...never.

Duane said...

You're mia agaion!